Dr Tilman Sanchez-Elsner
Professor of Molecular Medicine
Dr Tilman Sanchez-Elsner (TSE) studied Biology at the Universidad Complutense of Madrid, Spain, pursuing his PhD in the same University at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (June 2002).
After his PhD, he then moved into the field of epigenetics (University of California at Riverside). To apply the acquired knowledge to the human model, he moved then to the lab of Dr A.L. Corbi CIB, CSIC, Madrid, 2006-2007).
Finally, in 2007, he decided to develop his own independent research, and joined the University of Southampton. He is now Professor of Molecular Medicine in the School of CES (Faculty of Medicine).
1. Garrido-Martin EM, Mellows TWP, Clarke J, Ganesan AP, Wood O, Cazaly A, Seumois G, Chee SJ, Alzetani A, King EV, Hedrick CC, Thomas G, Friedmann PS, Ottensmeier CH, Vijayanand P, Sanchez-Elsner T. M1hot tumor-associated macrophages boost tissue-resident memory T cells infiltration and survival in human lung cancer. J Immunother Cancer. 2020 Jul;8(2):e000778.
2. Francisco-Garcia AS, Garrido-Martín EM, Rupani H, Lau LCK, Martinez-Nunez RT, Howarth PH, Sanchez-Elsner T. Small RNA Species and microRNA Profiles are Altered in Severe Asthma Nanovesicles from Broncho Alveolar Lavage and Associate with Impaired Lung Function and Inflammation. Noncoding RNA. 2019 Nov 2;5(4).
3. Whiteoak SR, Claridge A, Balendran CA, Harris RJ, Gwiggner M, Bondanese VP, Erlandsson F, Hansen MB, Cummings JRF, Sanchez-Elsner T. MicroRNA-31 Targets Thymic Stromal Lymphopoietin in Mucosal Infiltrated CD4+ T Cells: A Role in Achieving Mucosal Healing in Ulcerative Colitis? Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2018 Oct 12;24(11):2377-2385.
4. Martinez-Nunez RT, Rupani H, Platé M, Niranjan M, Chambers RC, Howarth PH, Sanchez-Elsner T. Genome-Wide Posttranscriptional Dysregulation by MicroRNAs in Human Asthma as Revealed by Frac-seq. J Immunol. 2018 Jul 1;201(1):251-263.
5. Gwiggner M, Martinez-Nunez RT, Whiteoak SR, Bondanese VP, Claridge A, Collins JE, Cummings JRF, Sanchez-Elsner T. MicroRNA-31 and MicroRNA-155 Are Overexpressed in Ulcerative Colitis and Regulate IL-13 Signaling by Targeting Interleukin 13 Receptor α-1.Genes (Basel). 2018 Feb 13;9(2).
6. Rupani H, Dennison P, Lau LCK, Martinez-Nunez RT, Jayasekera N, Havelock T, Francisco-Garcia AS, Grainge C, Howarth PH, Sanchez-Elsner T. Toll-like receptor 7 is reduced in severe asthma and linked to altered microRNA profile Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Jan 27.
7. Martinez-Nunez RT, Bondanese VP, Louafi F, Francisco-Garcia AS, Rupani H, Bedke N, Holgate S, Howarth PH, Davies DE, Sanchez-Elsner T. A microRNA network dysregulated in asthma controls IL-6 production in bronchial epithelial cells. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 31;9(10)
8. Bondanese VP, Francisco-Garcia A, Bedke N, Davies DE, Sanchez-Elsner T. Identification of host miRNAs that may limit human rhinovirus replication. World J Biol Chem. 2014 Nov 26;5(4):437-56.
9. Martinez-Nunez RT, Louafi F, Sanchez-Elsner T. The Interleukin 13 (IL-13) pathway in human macrophages is modulated by microRNA-155 via direct targeting of interleukin 13 receptor alpha 1 (IL13Ra1). J Biol Chem. 2011 Jan 21;286(3):1786-94.
10. Rodamporn S, Harris N.R., Beeby S.P, Boltryk RJ, Sanchez-Elsner T. HeLa cell Transfection Using a Novel Sonoporation System. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2011 Apr;58(4):927-34.
11. Louafi F, Martinez-Nunez RT, Sanchez-Elsner T. Microrna-155 targets SMAD2 and modulates the response of macrophages to transforming growth factor-b. J Biol Chem. 2010 Dec 31;285(53):41328-36.
12. Martinez-Nunez RT, Louafi F, Friedmann PS, Sanchez-Elsner T. MicroRNA-155 modulates the pathogen binding ability of dendritic cells (DCs) by down-regulation of DC-specific intercellular adhesion molecule-3 grabbing non-integrin (DC-SIGN). J Biol Chem. 2009 Jun 12;284(24):16334-42.
2016-2019, CRUK, T.Sanchez-Elsner, P.V, C.H.O. GT, Tumour-derived micro-RNAs control macrophages in the immune response to human lung tumours. £296K
2012-2015, MRC, T. Sanchez-Elsner & Peter H. Howarth, MicroRNAs and their epigenetic regulation as key factors in airway macrophage dysfunction in asthma. £500k
2009-2012, MRC, T. Sanchez-Elsner, Involvement of MicroRNA-155 in the development and progression of asthma. £500K