Strategy: Concentrating and sharing our strengths
The NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre aims to improve health and resilience throughout life by developing better, individually personalised treatments and care.
We drive innovation through world-class research to understand what influences resilience, and how. We translate our discoveries into real-world use by:
• Working with the best minds, bringing together many disciplines
• Collaborating regionally, nationally and globally, with patients, public, academics and industry
• Developing guidelines and policies that benefit patients, public and the health and care system
Our strategy is centred on collaboration; collaboration between our research themes, with our local communities, with clinical and academic colleagues, and across the NIHR, industry and NHS.
Delivery: 600 researchers, five themes
The centre of over 600 researchers, across the partnership, draws together the patients, staff, trainees, facilities and equipment needed to study health, disease and new treatments.
It does so through five strategic research themes:
• Nutrition, Lifestyle and Metabolism
• Respiratory and Allergy
• Data, Health and Society
• Microbiology, Immunology and Infection
• Perioperative and Critical Care