Prof Hasan Arshad
MBBS, FRCP, DM
Professor of Allergy and Clinical Immunology and Honorary Consultant Physician
Professor Hasan Arshad heads the Asthma, Allergy and Clinical Immunology department at University Hospital Southampton and leads allergy research at University of Southampton and the David Hide Asthma and Allergy Centre on the Isle of Wight.
He is PI for the Isle of Wight and 3rd generation birth cohorts investigating natural history and genetic and environmental risk factors for allergic diseases including asthma, rhinitis and food allergy. He is also chief investigator for the largest food allergy oral immunotherapy study in the UK.
His research interests include identifying novel diagnostics and predictive biomarkers, and testing allergen immunotherapy for preventing asthma and treating food allergy. He has published > 300 peer reviewed papers (h-index=82) and authored several books and book chapters.
1. Arshad S H, Matthews S, Gant C, Hide D W. Effect of food and house-dust mite allergen avoidance on development of allergic disorders in infancy. The Lancet 1992;339:1493-7.
2. Adkinson, Jr. N F, Eggleston P A, Eney D, Goldstein E O, Schuberth K C, Bacon J R, Hamilton R G, Weiss M E, Arshad S H, Meinert C L, Tonascia J, Wheeler B. A controlled trial of immunotherapy for asthma in allergic children. New Eng J Med 1997;336:324-31.
3. YuanYuan G, Harley I, Bremer L, Aronow B J, Vietor I, Harley J B, Kilpatrick J R, Langefeld C D, Williams A H, Wills-Karp M, Arshad S H, Ewart S, Flick L H, Filippi M, Leighton Grimes ML, Drumm ML, Cutting GR, Knowles MR, Karp CL. Modification of Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease Severity by Polymorphisms in Genes Regulating Neutrophil Function. Nature 2009;458(7241):1039-42.
4. J Grundy, S Matthews, B Bateman, T Dean, SH Arshad. Rising prevalence of allergy to peanut in children: data from 2 sequential cohorts. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2002; 110 (5), 784-789.
5. NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel, Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, Burks AW, Jones SM, Sampson HA, Wood RA, Plaut M, Cooper SF, Fenton MJ, Arshad SH et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Dec;126(6 Suppl):S1-58.
6. Zolkipli Z, Roberts G, Cornelius V, Clayton B, Pearson S, Michaelis L, Djukanovic R, Kurukulaaratchy R, Arshad SH. Randomized controlled trial of primary prevention of atopy using house dust mite allergen oral immunotherapy in early childhood. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015;136(6):1541-1547.e11.
Circulating miRNAs as a diagnostic test for asthma and to identify asthma severity risk Co-I (PI: Kurukulaaratchy)
Asthma UK (AUK-PG-2019-419) 3 years; Total amount: £245,370
Airway Inflammation and Airway Remodeling in Severe Asthma.
Co-I (PI: David Broide) NIAID/National Institutes of Health U19AI070535, 5 years; Total amount: $9,640,182
Patterns and prevalence of adult food allergy. Food Standard Agency (FS101174); 3 years, Co-I (PI: Claire Mills); Total amount: £1,837,782.
Using commonly available food products to treat food allergy. Chief investigator; Natasha Allergy Research foundation; 4 years: Total amount: £2,280,000.
The allergy service recognised by the World Allergy Organisation, as “Centre of Excellence" under my leadership in 2014 and it has been renewed twice (in 2018 and 2022).
I have written European and US guidelines on food allergy.
I helped formulate recommendations for WHO on the effect of RSV vaccination in infancy on prevention of childhood asthma.
I published predictive scores for childhood asthma for clinical use.
I did first trial of allergen immunotherapy for asthma prevention.